Choosing the right programming language to learn can be a pivotal decision for aspiring developers. Two of the most popular and influential programming languages today are C++ and Java. You can take a Java course to become a certified programmer but which one should you learn first? In this article, we will explore the key considerations that can help you make an informed decision.
Table of Contents
Java and C++ Overview
When to Choose Java Over C++
When to Choose C++ Over Java
Which Language to Learn First
Java and C++ Overview
Below is a complete overview between Java and C++
- What is Java: Java is a versatile programming language that uses object-oriented principles and polymorphism in Java is widely recognized as an essential aspect of object-oriented programming. Its platform independence allows it to run on any device through compilation processes. From laptops to data centers, game consoles to supercomputers, cell phones to web browsers.
Popular sites such as Wikipedia, Minecraft, and Android OS have been built using this technology along with widely used services like LinkedIn, Uber, and even the Mars Rover Controller.
- What is C++: C++ is a popular programming language known for its object-oriented approach. It allows developers to create applications and websites. It was introduced in 1985 as an extension of the C language with added features, such as classes. One of the main advantages of using C++ is that it provides better management of system resources and memory utilization. Unlike other languages, programs written in C++ can be compiled on any platform but are not completely independent from them. This makes it suitable for tasks like system programming, low-level development, gaming, and designing native software applications.
When to Choose C++ Over Java?
When deciding on a programming language to study, it can be difficult. However, your choice should be dependent on your desired career. If your desired career revolves around any of the fields listed below, C++ could be the most suitable option.
- Video Game Creation: This refers to creating games for various platforms, such as computers, consoles, and mobile devices. It involves designing graphics, coding gameplay mechanics, and testing the final product before its release.
- IoT (Internet of Things) Devices: These are physical objects embedded with sensors that enable these objects to collect data and communicate over a network without human intervention.
- AR/VR Applications: AR is an acronym for augmented reality and it overlays digital elements into real-world environments, while VR is an acronym for virtual reality.
- Operating Systems Development: These are essential software programs that manage and control the hardware of a computer or electronic device. They provide an interface for users to interact with their devices and allow different applications to run smoothly on them.
- Databases Storage (DBMS): serves as an organized collection of information used by businesses, institutions, and organizations. Data storage, retrieval, and manipulation are facilitated through special software called database management systems (DBMS).
- Web Browsers: These act as gateways between the internet, they enable access to websites, text, image, audio, and video content. They also offer tools like bookmarks, private browsing, and extensions, to enhance user experience while surfing online.
When to Choose Java Over C++?
Java could be the most suitable option for programmers if their career revolves around the fields listed below.
- Draft Designs for Wearable Technology Devices: Wearable technology refers to electronic gadgets that are intended to be worn on the body. These gadgets can come in various shapes and sizes, such as jewelry, accessories, garments or even implanted inside the body.
- Builds Android Applications: Android development is a type of software programming that focuses on designing applications for devices operating on the Android platform.
- Builds Online Commerce Platforms: This is the creation of websites that serve as a digital representation of a physical store on the internet. Its main purpose is to facilitate transactions between buyers and sellers. Through this online platform, products are displayed for potential customers to browse and make purchases virtually.
- Server Application Manager: Application managers determine the most suitable software for a company’s requirements. They proceed by obtaining the necessary software, setting up servers, installing and configuring it inputting data. In addition, to optimizing its performance through different techniques, conducting upgrades when needed, and resolving any issues that may arise.
C++ or Java: Which Language to Learn First?
Many experienced programmers highly recommend starting with Java as the top choice for beginners in coding. This particular programming language has a more intuitive and user-friendly syntax, making it easier to grasp compared to other languages. On the other hand, C++ is known for its strict rules when it comes to syntax, which can pose challenges for new coders/developers. Even minor errors while writing code can lead to multiple issues and interfere with the readability of programs that were written using C++.
Deciding whether to learn C++ or Java as a beginner is not a straightforward decision. It ultimately depends on your career goal and personal interests in the field of programming. Both programming languages have their unique advantages and are used in various industries. Whichever one you choose to learn first will be beneficial for your growth as a programmer. Also, many developers eventually learn multiple languages, so your first choice doesn’t need to be your only choice.