Vehicle Designing is a specialised area which combines engineering, innovative ideas, and business skills. A car designer is a person who creates the appearance and functionality of cars, buses, trucks, and various other types of vehicles. A car designer typically focuses on three areas, which are: the inside of a vehicle, the outside body (design and colour), and sleekness. Car designers, using their own creativity, try to improve on existing design mechanics, fulfilling consumer demands and comfort of a vehicle, types of materials and design techniques used etc.
Who Can Become a Car/Automobile Designer?
To become a successful car designer, one needs to have some skills and interests. One must have the following:
- A love and passion for cars.
- A strong creative mind
- Working knowledge of 2D and 3D design is required.
- Excellent communication skills to become a team leader or work independently.
- Strong understanding of engineering aspects of design, as well as the ability to collaborate and coordinate with engineers in this regard.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- and interest in learning about the latest changes in technology, automobile design, and industry fields.
Eligibility to become a professional car design engineer
An aspirant must have an undergraduate degree in automotive design in order to be an automotive designer. There are various colleges that offer postgraduate courses that could help a car designer to fulfil job opportunities and to secure handsome salary packages in the long run.
Types of car designers
Industrial Designer: Industrial designers are responsible for a product’s outer appearance, mechanism, functionality, manufacturability, etc. Using their ability to combine art and technology to create products that people need regularly,
Automobile Designer: Automobile designers make designs for automobiles and their parts and various components based on the client’s requirements and specifications. They design layouts for vehicle parts and assemble them using mathematically detailed designs, models, and sketches.
Various car designing courses
There are various types of car design courses available on the market, and one can pursue any of them to fulfil their passion for car design. Some of them are as follows:
- There is a comprehensive programme on hybrid electric vehicle design, analysis & simulation using various HEV-specific computational tools. This electric & hybrid vehicle course is highly appropriate for beginners in designing and developing vehicle parts that keep passengers safe while commuting.
- There is a comprehensive autonomous vehicle course that employs AV system design as well as key algorithms and techniques commonly used in the design of driverless cars. This autonomous driving course is designed keeping in mind the needs of the future automotive industry development process.
Car/vehicle designing is one of the most creative and exciting jobs in the market and one who is passionate about cars can easily secure his future by showing his interest in pursuing a proper car designing course. The latest trends show a great requirement for efficient car designers in the industry. A beginner automotive designer with 1–4 years of experience can earn an average total salary of 4.5 lakh to 8 lakh per anum, according to a market report.